-30 c out this morning, had my coffee, walked the dog… honestly didn’t expect much people out this morning, but Gary showed up about 10:10 am, Justin St Amand, Philipp Jecker, Rupert Klein, and Chris Gaspar decided to join at roughly 10:15 am
9 am training consisted of tabata styled movements with the grappling dummy. 60 secs per movement, with 5, different exercises as hard and as fast as possible. 5 sets total 60 sec breaks between sets.
Had a few issues rolling with someone bigger again today, especially when being man handled to be put on your back, strength can be the difference I guess… this time however, I made a few modifications and faster adjustments… once on top, focused on trying to string a few attacks to complete a submission… being a 10 min round takes tolls on the bigger guys, which is kinda nice… weather the storm, focus on being technical, and efficient with movements. 210 pound is still 210 pounds on top of you… especially when its controlled and well distributed. Fight and move like a mouse as I read regarding advice coming from Rickson Gracie, sometimes its just real hard once they get a hold of you…lol.
5 Sets of:
1. 60 sec, knee belly switches
2. 60 sec, side control switches
3. 60 sec, mount to s-mount, alternating sides
4. 60 sec, standing up side control switches
5. 60 sec, side control, push-ups to knee belly, alternating knees
Below is a 1-2 min sped up video clip x 4, of me drilling with the grappling dummy at 9 am this morning enjoy!
15 min Warm-up:
1. Forward shoulder rolls, alternating shoulders, 2 x across mat
2. Reverse shoulder rolls, alternating shoulders, 2 x across mat
3. Side shoulder rolls, 1 x across mat left side & 1 x across mat right side
4. Forward butt scoots, 2 x across mat
5. Reverse butt scoots, 2 x across mat
6. Backwards shrimping, 2 x across mat
8. Forward shrimping, 2 x across mat
9. Backwards break fall to technical stand, 2 x across mat
10. Forward break falls to technical stand, 2 x across mat
11. Inside Z walks, 1 x across mat forward
12. Outside Z walks, 1 x across mat forward
13. Single knee drops, 2 x across mat
14. Tri-angles, 2 x across mat
Below is sped up clip x 4 of the class warm we did this morning enjoy…
Positional Resistance Drilling:
- Passing, x-passing with partner working on guard retention, 2 mins each
- Modified single leg takedown (chest pressure & heal pick, from cross-lapel double fist grip break, maintain the lapel grip once placing between partner), to leg drag to leg drag mount, side control, mount, bait the cross collar choke the partner defends then pop the elbow into S-mount and hooking the arm for the arm bar, switch the arm and hook the leg with the far arm to execute an arm bar while your partner is still on his side. 2 mins each
- Modified Judo hip throw, retaining the far side arm hook with a deep under hook, set up a north south head mount kimura to a spinning arm bar. 2 mins each
- Side Control escapes, 60 sec rounds, 3 rounds on top, and 3 on the bottom alternating partners
Reviewed issues on leg lock defense, arm bar set ups from closed guard, and side control defenses.
Rolling: (2 x 10 mins Rounds)
- Philippe Decker, hard round
- Rupert Klein, hard round
European Open Jiu-Jitsu Championship (Sunday) from Youtube below from Jan 25/15
Hope to everyone sometime this week!